Today, World Environment Day , I congratulate the governing body leading the event and join everyone in celebrating and creating awareness of the environment.
2021 Theme: Ecosystem Restoration
The theme for World Environment Day 2021 is “Ecosystem Restoration” and will see the launch of the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration. Ecosystem restoration can take many forms: Growing trees, greening cities, rewilding gardens, changing diets or cleaning up rivers and coasts. This is the generation that can make peace with nature.
UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration (2021-2030)
The UN Decade runs from 2021 through 2030, which is also the deadline for the Sustainable Development Goals and the timeline scientists have identified as the last chance to prevent catastrophic climate change. Led by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), the UN Decade is building a strong, broad-based global movement to ramp up restoration and put the world on track for a sustainable future. That will include building political momentum for restoration as well as thousands of initiatives on the ground.
Ho w Can We Help
From the list of the World Environment Day Team, we as individuals can make our contribution.
- Growing Trees – if we have a large lot, we can do this. Otherwise let’s participate in tree planting activities . We can develop awareness through our blogs or social media accounts.
- Greening Cities – we can do this in our own yards or if we don’t have one we can have plants in pots.
- Rewilding gardens – we’re so used to manicured lawns, it’s time to reconsider making it more sustainable and less costly to maintain
- Changing diets- let’s buy locally as much as possible so there would be less energy consumption to transport food. Let’s refrain from buying processed food, cooking from fresh ingredients which we can do with care , within is healthier. There will be less wastes from packaging.
- Cleaning up rivers and coasts – we can start by avoiding waste and being mindful of waste disposal lest they end up in our bodies of water.
As bloggers, we can drum up interest on the environment or maintain awareness at the least.
In my 10 months of blogging, let me share with you my posts about the environment:
- The Original Skyscrapers
- A Year of Frugal Living
- Mindful Discarding
- Mother Earth, How Do I Care For Thee
- Easy Composting
I hope in my own little way, I contribute to world environment, not only on its day but consistently.