I have gathered and listed below (partial) successful Filipinas in different fields of endeavor. But more than these highly successful and celebrated Filipinas are the countless women working silently in various fields, faceless in media but making a great contribution to Philippine society and, because of our Overseas Filipino Workers (OFW), to the world at large foremost of which during this time of pandemic are our health workers.
Historically and at present, women excelled in various areas:
Female Presidents of the Republic
- Corazon Cojuangco Aquino , 1986-1992
- Gloria Macapagal Arroyo , 2001-2010
A Female Senator As Early as 1947
Current Female Senators
- Maria Lourdes Nancy Sombillo Binay Angeles
- Pilar Juliana Schramm Cayetano
- Leila Norma Eulalia Josefa Magistrado de Lima
- Ana Theresia Navarro Hontiveros-Baraquel
- María Imelda Josefa “Imee” Romualdez Marcos
- Mary Grace Natividad Sonora Poe Llamanzares
- Cynthia Ampaya Aguilar Villar
Fe del Mundo, the first woman to be admitted to Harvard Medical School in 1936, has been honoured with Google’s latest doodle. However, Dr Del Mundo was a historic first in more ways than one throughout her life.
Dr. Fe del Mundo earned her place in the history of medicine not only for her lifetime dedication to the health of children but for her inventions as well.
Previous Heads of the Department of Health
- Paulyn Jean B. Rosell-Ubial July 1, 2016 – October 2017
- Janette P. Loreto -Garin December 2014 – June 30, 2016
- Esperanza I. Cabral January 2010 – June 2010
Current Female Undersecretaries of the Department of Health
- Myrna C. Cabotaje Undersecretary of HealthField Implementation and Coordination Team ( NCR and Luzon)
- Ma. Carolina Vidal-TaiñoUndersecretary of HealthProcurement and Supply Chain Management Team
- Lilibeth C. David Undersecretary of HealthHealth Facilities and Infrastructure Development Team
- Maria Rosario S. Vergeire OIC-Undersecretary of Health ,Public Health Services Team
Many of these women achievers also taught in universities like former president Gloria Macapagal Arroyo.
Professor in whose honor a planet was named
A small planet orbiting the space between Mars and Jupiter has been named after an international award-winning Filipino science teacher.
The heavenly body, planet 13241, is now called “Planet Biyo,”named after Dr. Josette Biyo of the Philippine Science High School-Western Visayas (PSHS-WV) in Iloilo City by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Lincoln Laboratory in the United States.
First Filipina lawyer and judge
Almeda-Lopez became a lawyer in 1914. Around this time, the legal profession in the country was considered mostly for men.
Female Justices of the Supreme Court
Cecilia Muñoz-Palma (November 22, 1913 – January 2, 2006) was a Filipino jurist and the first woman appointed to the Supreme Cour t of the Philippines. She was appointed to the Supreme Court by PresidentFerdinand Marcos on October 29, 1973, and served until she reached the then-mandatory retirement age of 65.
Current female justices.
Female businesswomen making their mark internationally
- Loida Nicolas Lewis
- Josie Cruz Natori
- Cora Jacob
BEAUTY AND TALENT
Excelling in traditional or stereotype idea on women is also pursued, also they are also active in their fields.
Miss Universe Winners
Miss World Winner
Megan Young -2013
Miss International Winners
- Gemma Cruz – 1964
- Aurora Pijuan – 1970
- Melanie Marquez -1979
- Lara Quigaman -2005
- Bea Santiago – 2013
- Kylie Verzosa -2016
NON TRADITIONAL AREAS WHERE WOMEN WORK NOW:
- Military/ law and order
- Aviation (not only as flight attendants but as pilots)
- Transportation( Driving trains, bus, taxis, cars)
CONGRATULATIONS on your achievements! THANK YOU! Your achievements are society’s gains.